St. Patrick's Day Favors


For some reason I don't usually do much in the way of celebrating St. Patrick's Day but, I was restless to find something springlike lately and discovered a recipe online for St. Patrick's Day Rice Krispie Treats.  It inspired me to create these favors.   You can find the recipe here.  I'll be showing you some of the steps I took to make the treats but, you will get the whole recipe on the above website.


This St. Patrick's Day recipe is similar to the traditional "treats" recipe but, with a few changes.

The biggest change and surprise ingredient is the addition of the charms from Lucky Charms cereal.  You need to pick 3/4 of a cup of charms out of the cereal box and set it aside.  This takes a little bit of time but, after all it is the secret ingredient and the treats wouldn't be magical without them!
The other ingredient is green food coloring, if you want to add it.  I wanted my treats to be green for St. Pat's Day but, I know some people don't like to use food coloring.  It's all your own choice.

So, here are the usual suspect ingredients.  (Just a side note, one 10-ounce package of marshmallows is all you need for this recipe.  I always seem to overbuy, if the recipe isn't specific.  I guess I'm not good with measurements.  A 9-ounce box of Rice Krispies is exactly enough also.  Luckily I figured that one out !)
I'm not sure if I did this step correctly or not.  After mixing in the "charms" they seemed to get lost in the mixture.  Perhaps, you are supposed to put them on the top after placing everything into the pan.  Not sure.  Of course, everything is so messy by this stage that you just do the best you can!
Here they are in the pan.  By the way, this is a 9" x 13" pan.  I don't think the recipe tells you that.  I guess you can still see some of the charms, although not as much as I would have liked.
Next I cut the treats into squares, placed them in a cellophane bag and tied them with a green ribbon.

Thinking the bags needed "something else", I added a handmade tag.  I cut a circle from cardstock and put a shamrock sticker on it.  I also edged the tag with green marker.  I wanted the shamrock to be more pronounced and the green edging helped a little.  I punched a hole in the tag and tied it with more ribbon to the favor bag.

Here we go...the finished product!
Very, very easy and quick to do, if you need a last minute St. Pat's party idea!

I loved the color of these spider mums and thought they would be pretty and finish the look sitting next to my "treats" :).


Well, there you go with a last minute St. Patrick's Day party favor idea.  Easy, fun and pretty--all at the same time!



2 comments:

  1. What a fun and sweet treat. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.

    ReplyDelete